Short Answer type Questions:
1. What is the full name of Octavio Paz?
Ans. The full name of Octavio Paz is Octavio Paz Lozano.
2. To which country did Octavio Paz belong to?
Ans. Octavio Paz belong to Mexico
3. What was the prize that was awarded to the Mexican writer Octavio Paz for literature?
Ans. Octavio Paz was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature
4. Name the poet of the poem ‘Brotherhood’
Ans. The poet of the poem ‘Brotherhood’ is Octavio Paz
5. Who was Claudius Ptolemy to whom Octavio Paz pays homage through this poem?
Ans. Through this poem, Octavio Paz prays homage to Claudius Ptolemy who was an astronomer and mathematician of around the year 100 A.D.
6. How many lines does the poem ‘Brotherhood’ comprise of?
Ans. The poem comprises of only eight lines
7. What type of a poem is ‘Brotherhood’?
Ans. The poem ‘Brotherhood’ is a lyrical poem
8. I am a man : little do I last’ What does this line suggest?
Ans. This line suggests that the life of a human being is shot
9. ‘and the night is enormous’- ‘night’ suggest here?
Ans. The word ‘night here suggests Death
10. What does the poet see when he looks up?
Ans. When the poet looks up he sees that the stars are writing
11. ‘unknowing I understand’ understand?
Ans. The poet understands that he has a very special place in this universe -what does the word What does the poet
12. How does Octavio Paz introduce himself in his poem ‘Brotherhood’?
Ans. Octavio Paz introduces himself as a man in his poem ‘Brotherhood’
13. What do the control stars in the poem ‘Brotherhood?
Ans. In the poem ‘Brotherhood’ the stars control the human life on Earth
14. What is the limitation as stated in the first line of the poem ‘Brotherhood’?
Ans. The limitations as stated in the first line of the poem ‘Brotherhood’ is that man has a very short span of life
15. How was Octavio Paz connected to India?
Ans. Octavio Paz came to India in 1952 under the influence of both Hinduism and Buddhism
16. Name a few writers from South America who represent the influential popular writings of the America?
Ans. A few writers from South America, who represent the influential popular writings of the Americas are Octavio Paz, Pablo Neruda, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Mario Vargas Llosa
17. When does the poet understand that someone had spelled him out?
Ans. At the very moment when the poet saw that he too is written someone spells him out.
18. What does the poet finally understand at the end of the poem?
Ans. The poet finally understands that at the end of the poem someone had spelled him out
19. What do the stars write?
Ans. The stars write every human being’s place in the universe
20. What type of brotherhood is established through this poem?
Ans. Through this poem ‘Brotherhood’ Octavio Paz stablished the brotherhood between man and universe